To provide on-site coordination for all phases of Heavy (Civil) and General Construction projects, including coordinating subcontractors, material and equipment, ensuring that specifications are being strictly followed, and work is proceeding on schedule and within budget. Superintendent shall be responsible for scheduling, inspections, quality control, and job site safety.
Project Management, Executive Management
Employee’s primary duty is the performance of office work directly related to the general business operations of the employer or the employer’s customers. This job also requires the exercise of discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance. Essential Functions / Major Responsibilities of Superintendent:
- Schedule subcontractors, consultants, and vendors in critical path to ensure timely completion.
- Perform quality control duties and responsibilities regarding the work being performed.
- Communicate with project team regarding ASI’s, RFI’s, and Material Submittals.
- Ensure that subcontractor is fully executing and complying with his contracted scope of work.
- Coordinate required inspections with local jurisdictions.
- Identify subcontractor non-compliance with safety, health, and environmental quality standards.
- Identify conflicts in construction progress and communicate them to project team for resolution.
- Maintain daily log (written) of activities on the jobsite.
- Perform Superintendent duties at multiple job sites, simultaneously.
- Ensure subcontractor has corrected all deficiencies identified by project team.
- Walk all units on project daily to monitor activities and assist in future planning.
- Preside over weekly subcontractor meetings designed to coordinate the work.
- Issue notices of non-compliance to subcontractors in regards to quality of work or scheduling.
- Ensure that the job site is always kept in a clean and organized manner.
- Perform job progress and completion punch list identification and completion.
- Operate a computer and word processing software and other standard office equipment.
- Type accurately at a speed necessary to meet the requirements of the position.
- Interpret, apply, explain and reach sound decisions in accordance with laws, regulations, rules and policies.
- Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing.
- Manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities.
- Maintain highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Provide direction to and resolve problems amongst 30+ subcontractors and vendors.
- Ability to identify deficient work and provide resolution.
- Communicate using the following tools: telephone, fax machine, written logs, email, computer, blackberry devices, digital camera.
- Blueprint reading.
- Physically lift up to 100 lbs.
- Endurance and ability to visit entire job site, including stairs or other elevated structures.
- Monitoring jobsite general health and safety.
Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
Safety and Security
Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
This position requires supervision of personnel, employees, subcontractors, and job site supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in an outdoor office environment. An office is generally provided for use while performing office type duties while on a site other than the main corporate office.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands or fingers, handle or feel; reach, grasp, hold, with hands and arms; bend, kneel, squat, with legs and feet. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and risk of vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position.
Days and hours of work are:
Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Weekends are required
- Travel is required for this position
- A minimum of a class D will need to be obtained prior to issuance of company vehicles
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- 3-5 years of related experience
Preferred Education and Experience
Associates or Bachelor’s degree in a related field
The Policy of our company is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran; and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Further, the Company takes affirmative action to insure that applicants and employees covered under Executive Order 11246, as amended, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, are not discriminated against due to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
As President and Chief Executive Officer, I affirm that the above Equal Employment Opportunity Policy and the Affirmative Action Program executed simultaneously herewith reflect the Company’s attitude and its intention to:
Recruit, hire, train and promote for all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Insure that all other personnel actions such as compensation, benefits, transfers, terminations, company-sponsored training, educational tuition assistance and social and recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Employees and applicants shall not be subjected to harassment, intimidation, threats coercion or discrimination because they have; (1) filed a complaint; (2) assisted or participated in an investigation, compliance review hearing or any other activity related to the administration of any federal, state or local law requiring Equal Employment Opportunity; (3) opposed any act or practice made unlawful by any federal, state or local law requiring equal opportunity; or (4) exercised any other right protected by federal, state or local law requiring equal opportunity.
The Company in compliance with Executive Order 11246, as amended by Executive Order 11375, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, maintains a written Affirmative Action Program. The Affirmative Action Program is maintained in the Human Resources Department and is made available to prospective employees and employees upon request, during normal business hours.
Overall responsibility for directing and implementing the policy enunciated herein and the Company’s Affirmative Action Program has been assigned to the HR Manager, who serves as the Company’s Affirmative Action Officer. The day-to-day responsibilities have been assigned to the HR Manager at (662) 823-5166, who serves as EEO Officer.
All personnel actions will be analyzed to insure that the Equal Opportunity Policy and the Affirmative Action Program are being properly implemented and annual reports will be submitted to me so that I may monitor progress.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.