Email all hard-copy Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
The heavy equipment operator operates a variety of contractor equipment and trucks used in construction, maintenance and repair activities and performs a variety of semiskilled tasks in the maintenance of light, street and storm drainage systems by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operates trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operates trucks and construction or power equipment, such as mechanized broom, backhoe, man-lift, dump truck, snowplow, road grater, front-end loader, hydraulic excavators, skid steers and jetter/inductor truck.
- Operates jackhammers, mowers, brush chippers and other small equipment and tools to maintain street and utility systems.
- Works with and assists the line crew in digging ditches and trenches, hoisting material, tools, equipment, and any related work with a backhoe, road grater or front-end loader.
- Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or repairs to the supervisor; cleans equipment.
- Assists in the installing and maintenance of traffic control devices.
- Plows snow and salts roads according to departmental policy.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, develops alternative solutions.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures, determines appropriate action beyond guidelines, reports potentially unsafe conditions, uses equipment and materials properly
- Attendance/punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time, ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours or work when necessary to reach goals, completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
- Initiative – Volunteers readily seeks increased responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training/ or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend a limited number of two-and three-syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to print and speak simple sentences.
Ability to add, subtract, two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Four years’ experience involving the use of medium and heavy equipment, two of which must have been related to utility or street systems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, taste and smell.
The employee must frequently lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities o perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts, and is frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risks of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position.
Days and hours of work are:
Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Weekends may be required
Travel is required for this position
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- A valid class A CDL is required for this position
- A Medical Examiners Certificate is required for this position
Preferred Education and Experience
At least 1-year experience driving a vehicle over 26,001 GVWR
The Policy of our company is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran; and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Further, the Company takes affirmative action to insure that applicants and employees covered under Executive Order 11246, as amended, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, are not discriminated against due to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
As President and Chief Executive Officer, I affirm that the above Equal Employment Opportunity Policy and the Affirmative Action Program executed simultaneously herewith reflect the Company’s attitude and its intention to:
Recruit, hire, train and promote for all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Insure that all other personnel actions such as compensation, benefits, transfers, terminations, company-sponsored training, educational tuition assistance and social and recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Employees and applicants shall not be subjected to harassment, intimidation, threats coercion or discrimination because they have; (1) filed a complaint; (2) assisted or participated in an investigation, compliance review hearing or any other activity related to the administration of any federal, state or local law requiring Equal Employment Opportunity; (3) opposed any act or practice made unlawful by any federal, state or local law requiring equal opportunity; or (4) exercised any other right protected by federal, state or local law requiring equal opportunity.
The Company in compliance with Executive Order 11246, as amended by Executive Order 11375, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, maintains a written Affirmative Action Program. The Affirmative Action Program is maintained in the Human Resources Department and is made available to prospective employees and employees upon request, during normal business hours.
Overall responsibility for directing and implementing the policy enunciated herein and the Company’s Affirmative Action Program has been assigned to the HR Manager, who serves as the Company’s Affirmative Action Officer. The day-to-day responsibilities have been assigned to the HR Manager, who serves as EEO Officer.
All personnel actions will be analyzed to insure that the Equal Opportunity Policy and the Affirmative Action Program are being properly implemented and annual reports will be submitted to me so that I may monitor progress.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.