Responsible for transporting goods from one place to another using heavy or tractor-trailer trucks. Operates trucks with a capacity of at least 26,001 pounds per gross vehicle weight. Drives truck equipped with dump body to transport and dump loose materials, such as sand, gravel, crushed rock, coal, or bituminous paving materials.
Deliver goods while operating a tractor-trailer truck, sometimes over intercity routes or spanning several states.
- Pulls levers or turns crank to tilt body and dump contents
- Moves hand and foot controls to jerk truck forward and backward to loosen and dump material adhering to body
- May load truck by hand or by operating mechanical loader
- May be designated according to type of equipment driven for off-highway projects as dump-truck driver, off-highway.
- Load and unload cargo.
- Record amount and type of cargo being delivered.
- Take orders for new delivers.
- Drive long distances.
- Fill up on fuel, clean truck, and wash windows.
- Report to a dispatcher any incidents encountered on the road.
- Monitor road conditions and watch for traffic congestion.
- Follow all applicable traffic laws.
- Inspect their trailer before and after the trip, and record any defects they find.
- Follow accident procedures if an accident occurs.
- Keep a log of their activities.
- Report serious mechanical problems to the appropriate personnel.
- Keep their truck, and associated equipment, clean and in good working order.
- Plan routes using maps or satellite tracking.
- Get goods to client on time.
- Take rest periods during trip.
- Transport hazardous materials.
- Take special precautions while driving.
- Buy or lease trucks from other companies.
- Find and keep clients.
- Maintain log of trips
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Customer Service – Meets commitments
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures, reports potentially unsafe conditions, uses equipment and materials properly
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction, takes responsibility for own actions, keeps commitments, completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Seeks increased responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), or one to three months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. A valid CDL license is required.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos, Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in on-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variable sin standardized situations.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
This job operates in an indoor/outdoor environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands or fingers, handle or feel; reach, grasp, hold, with hands and arms; bend, kneel, squat, with legs and feet. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position.
Days and hours of work are:
Monday – Friday 5:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Weekends are required
Travel is required for this position
Required Education and Experience
High School Diploma or GED
A valid class A CDL is required for this position
A Medical Examiners Certificate is required for this position
Preferred Education and Experience
At least 1-year experience driving a vehicle over 26,001 GVWR
The Policy of our company is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran; and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Further, the Company takes affirmative action to insure that applicants and employees covered under Executive Order 11246, as amended, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, are not discriminated against due to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
As President and Chief Executive Officer, I affirm that the above Equal Employment Opportunity Policy and the Affirmative Action Program executed simultaneously herewith reflect the Company’s attitude and its intention to:
Recruit, hire, train and promote for all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Insure that all other personnel actions such as compensation, benefits, transfers, terminations, company-sponsored training, educational tuition assistance and social and recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Employees and applicants shall not be subjected to harassment, intimidation, threats coercion or discrimination because they have; (1) filed a complaint; (2) assisted or participated in an investigation, compliance review hearing or any other activity related to the administration of any federal, state or local law requiring Equal Employment Opportunity; (3) opposed any act or practice made unlawful by any federal, state or local law requiring equal opportunity; or (4) exercised any other right protected by federal, state or local law requiring equal opportunity.
The Company in compliance with Executive Order 11246, as amended by Executive Order 11375, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, maintains a written Affirmative Action Program. The Affirmative Action Program is maintained in the Human Resources Department and is made available to prospective employees and employees upon request, during normal business hours.
Overall responsibility for directing and implementing the policy enunciated herein and the Company’s Affirmative Action Program has been assigned to the HR Manager, who serves as the Company’s Affirmative Action Officer. The day-to-day responsibilities have been assigned to the HR Manager, who serves as EEO Officer.
All personnel actions will be analyzed to insure that the Equal Opportunity Policy and the Affirmative Action Program are being properly implemented and annual reports will be submitted to me so that I may monitor progress.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.